Sunday, November 23, 2008

RIP little Checkers.....

Our hearts are heavy this evening as we grieve the loss of Adasen's little hamster, Checkers. This is Adasen's second hamster and I must say that she was a devoted and caring hammy Mommy to each of her little men.

Adasen had her first hamster, Kool Aid for just about three months. We were told that Kool Aid was an infant when we got him but we later learned that he was much older and very sickly. He had tumors and a bad kidney and when he passed, it was devastating to her.

This time around, we were more prepared. We had been talking about Checkers coming up on two years old and that hamsters normally only live between 2-3 years max and the norm being closer to two. We saw Checkers aging the past few months and really slowing down over the past few weeks. Adasen celebrated Checkers' birthday on November 10th and continued to spend time with him, talk to him, and just love on him each and every day. We continued to talk about how happy Checkers was and what a great life he had, etc...

When Adasen came screaming down the hall, I knew that Checkers was gone. It was still just as devastating as when Kool Aid died because we had more time to get to know and love Checkers.

My heart broke into a million pieces when I heard Adasen's cries. It is a horrible feeling to see your little one suffering such a loss. It literally took my breath away.

Thankfully, Checkers passed away peacefully in his sleep. He was in his little igloo that he loved so much and it was comforting to Adasen to know that Checkers did not suffer the way that Kool Aid did.

Adasen cried herself to sleep and it was so hard to listen to. I know that she needed to grieve so I cuddled with her for a few minutes more and then I left.

What a sad night. God rest your sweet soul little Check Check. I pray that the Lord gives my little girl peace tonight.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry! I hope Adasen is doing ok today.

Kerrie said...

Oh Lisa, and Adasen, I'm SO sorry.
We've lost two little ham hams here too, in almost the same way, one very quickly and one a little longer. Elwood died nearly two years ago now. The girls have been asking for another hamster but my heart breaks so badly when they die I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it again!