Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Degenerative Back Disease.......

is hard to live with. I say live with but I really want to say "suffer with" because this is truly the kind of pain that causes me to get depressed. It's the physical limitations more than anything.
I haven't had a really nasty flair up in years. I will get flair ups but I can normally get them under control within a week or so. They hurt, but it's not debilitating long term.
This is a nasty flair up. It started around Christmas time. I was organizing the pantry, cleaning out the refrigerator... all of those pre holiday chores that we have to do to get ready. I noticed my back was aching but that's pretty normal for me when I'm doing those types of chores. I made sure my posture was good when I was sitting. I took Advil to help with inflammation. I made sure that I was sleeping on my side at night and only on my side. Things like that. I knew something wasn't quite right because my pain never went away. It was always there. I was still able to do my normal routines for the most part but I was always aware that I was in the midst of a flair up.
My Dad gave me his old TENS unit. It really helped with the pain until it started feeling like I was being electrocuted. I thought the little probes needed to be replaced so I put the unit away and never took it back out. I'm not one to put myself through electrocution.....
The past week my back has progressively gotten worse. I kept telling myself it was time to see the Doctor but honestly, my options with that are steroids, higher dosage of anti inflammatory, pain meds (and you know how much I hate taking those things!), Chiropractic care (and that makes me worse), steroids (they help me a lot but the side effects are not good), and physical therapy. Physical therapy always helps me. The ultrasound, massage, etc......brings relief, but it's a long process. Again, I was hoping to handle this on my own. I've been pretty good at it for the past several years.
Well yesterday after being in the bathroom, I realized I was in trouble. My back went out so to speak......the nasty flair up. I knew I was in trouble. It progressed through the day and into the night. I barely slept. This morning I could not shower. I could barely wipe after going potty......that's how bad it gets. I could barely get my socks on. This is not good. So I'm calling the Doctor today. I took some Advil and plan to ice my back but I can tell this is a nasty flair up. I pray that I can get through this quicker than my last one which lasted for three months. It was not a fun time. :0(

4 comments:

Jamie said...

((((Lisa))))

Marcia Thompson said...

I will pray for quick healing for you! I cannot imagine trying to take care of a family and doing daycare with such pain. Selfishly, I may need you to watch Nathan again soon!! But seriously, I truly hope you feel better soon!

Maryann said...

Oh Lisa I am so sorry you're hurting. I know all to well what it's like to live in pain. Maybe you need something stronger like Vicodin? Advil is good for the inflamation, but you need something for the pain as well.

Kellybelly said...

Oh sweet Lisa! I am so sorry that you are in pain! I am sending get well vibes to you! HUGS!