Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Parker's trip....

Parker hasn't talked much about his Mission trip since coming back. On the way home we received a call that Parker was car sick. This was strange to hear because Parker doesn't get car sick. I was obviously anxious for him to get back because I thought he might have eaten something that didn't agree with him. I didn't want him vomiting in anyone's car especially since it was almost a three hour drive home.

When Parker first got home he told us that he did a lot of dishes and that he had a great time. He fell asleep on the sofa around 4 and I woke him up for supper. My son never naps during the day. After supper he took a shower and went to bed. He never woke up until his alarm went off the next morning for school. The kid was exhausted!

Parker has offered up a few things here and there about his trip and he seems to have had a wonderful time and enjoyed the work that he did, but he's just not too chatty about it. I thought he would have tons of stories to tell me. Well, there was one about how the girls toilet papered the boys' cabin and how the boys had to get revenge and return the favor..... lol

Parker took a four hour first aid/cpr class through the Red Cross last night to earn his Readyman Badge for Scouts. When he got home he informed me that based on everything he learned in class, he was certain that he had heat exhaustion on his last day at the Ranch where he went for his Misson trip. Apparantly it was like a sauna in the dish area (they serve several hundred kids plus staff I believe at a time) and that he was there for several hours that morning prior to returning home.

I had no idea and felt terrible that I didn't consider anything like this when Parker first came back. I thought he was just tired from working so much. I guess I won't be getting the Mother of the Year Award anytime soon.....

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Lisa,

I think you are still in the running for that Mother of the Year award:o) I would have just assumed that my child was worn out from a weekend away from home as well.

Glad his first mission trip was successful!

Kerrie said...

Oh Lisa that's so scary!

No way, there's no way you could have known! I'd never have thought of something like that either.
This is one of those wonderful experiences that we have as moms, where we see how the Lord cares for our children when we can't. He kept him safe and sound and healed him completely.

Still SO impressed by your boy!

Maryann said...

Ha ha Lisa, that is totally not your fault. Parker seems really smart! I bet it was the heat also. Poor thing.